- 1 cup whole black lentils (also known as urad dal)
- 1/4 cup kidney beans (rajma)
- 3 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt to taste
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Wash the lentils and kidney beans and soak them in water overnight. Drain the water and rinse the lentils and beans.
- In a pressure cooker, add the lentils, kidney beans, water, chopped onion, tomatoes, ginger-garlic paste, green chilies, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, and salt to taste. Pressure cook on high heat for 6-7 whistles or until the lentils and beans are fully cooked and soft.
- Once the pressure is released, open the lid and stir the mixture well. Mash the lentils and beans with the back of a spoon to make them creamy.
- Add red chili powder, coriander powder, and garam masala powder. Mix well and cook for 5-7 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the cream and butter and cook for another 5 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with rice, naan, or roti.
Enjoy your creamy and delicious Dal Makhani!