Dahi Bada, also known as Dahi Vada, is a popular North Indian dish that is made with lentil dumplings and served with yogurt and chutneys. Here is a simple recipe for making Dahi Bada at home:
- 1 cup urad dal (split black gram)
- 1/2 cup moong dal (split green gram)
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tsp salt
- Oil for deep frying
- 3 cups yogurt (curd)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp chaat masala
- 1/4 cup tamarind chutney
- 1/4 cup green chutney
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Soak the urad dal and moong dal separately in water for at least 4-5 hours.
- Drain the water and grind the dals separately to a smooth paste with a little water. Mix both the pastes together and add asafoetida and salt. Beat the mixture for 5-6 minutes until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Drop spoonfuls of the batter in the hot oil and fry until golden brown. Drain the fried dumplings on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Soak the fried dumplings in lukewarm water for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze out the water and place the dumplings on a plate.
- Whisk the yogurt with salt, roasted cumin powder, red chilli powder, and chaat masala.
- Arrange the dumplings on a serving plate and pour the yogurt mixture over them.
- Drizzle tamarind chutney and green chutney over the yogurt.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve chilled.
Enjoy your delicious homemade Dahi Bada!